How Can a Lawyer Help With My Medical Malpractice Claim?
Deciding to pursue a medical malpractice claim is not a simple undertaking.
If you or a family member have been injured due to medical negligence, asserting your right to seek compensation for your medical costs, lost income, and other damages is a complicated process. You need the assistance of a medical malpractice lawyer that can provide the knowledge, skill, and experience to improve your chance of success in this complex legal arena.
Why You Need a Lawyer for a Medical Malpractice Claim
When medical negligence occurs, it is rarely freely admitted by the medical practitioner who made the negligent error. Whether you were the victim of a medication error that caused you injury, or negligence at a nursing home caused injury to your parent, the person who files a claim or lawsuit is required to prove negligence, causation, and damages. Hospitals, medical clinics, nursing homes, and other medical facilities protect themselves from medical malpractice claims with extensive legal assistance. Although you are not required to have an attorney represent you, choosing to be represented by a well-qualified lawyer is a smart decision.
The first step in building a medical malpractice claim is to determine whether you have the fundamental factors in place to support your claim. A medical malpractice lawyer can initially evaluate your potential claim based on your explanation of what happened. Medical negligence claims are complicated and difficult to prove, especially in Louisiana. The basic factors include:
- You were a patient receiving care from the medical practitioner
- You were injured due to medical negligence during your care
- There were significant physical injuries, medical costs, lost income, death or other damages caused by the medical negligence
Having a lawyer on your side can help you determine whether to move forward with a claim. It is better to know it is unlikely you will win a medical malpractice claim from the beginning than to waste time and energy pursuing one without results.
Fighting a Medical Malpractice Legal Battle
If it is determined you have a valid medical malpractice claim, an experienced medical malpractice lawyer can help. The doctor, surgeon, pharmacist, or other medical professional that was responsible for the medical negligence and corresponding injury will have lawyers working diligently to fight against your claim. You need a comparable legal team that has the knowledge, experience, and skill in medical malpractice litigation to uncover the evidence needed to support your claim. A medical malpractice lawyer can provide:
- Expert witnesses. It is important to have medical professionals who will support your claim and testify that the care you received was negligent and caused significant harm. An experienced lawyer may consult qualified experts to evaluate and render an opinion on the merits of your potential claim.
- Experience in the Louisiana court system. Medical malpractice claims in Louisiana are difficult but a lawyer who has knowledge and experience with the medical review panel process and medical malpractice litigation in Louisiana will have the skills to help you.
Looking for a Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Louisiana?
If you believe you are the victim of medical negligence, do not try to fight this battle alone. The legal team at Nelson & Hammons has fought on behalf of hundreds of clients since 1980 in the area of medical malpractice. We are one of the few firms in Louisiana that focuses our law practice on representing patients and their families who have been injured by medical negligence
To begin your quest for justice and compensation in your medical malpractice claim, contact our office by phone to talk to an attorney or ask a question by submitting the form on our website. If we advise you to move forward with your claim, we would be honored to represent you and offer our extensive experience to fight for your claim.