When Medication Errors Result In Medical Malpractice

Doctors and medical professionals prescribe medications that are meant to help us get better. When prescribed medications make everything worse instead, there may be a claim for medical malpractice. If your prescription medication was administered incorrectly or prescribed in error and that mistake resulted in further injury or illness, our medical malpractice attorneys at Nelson & Hammons, Attorneys At Law, in Shreveport and Lafayette, can help. John Hammons has been helping victims of medical malpractice throughout Louisiana since 1980. Over the past 40 years, he has developed a team of attorneys and staff dedicated to representing victims of medical malpractice.

Prescription Drug Errors And Medical Malpractice

Drug errors can happen at various stages of the drug dispensary process. The prescribing doctor could prescribe the wrong drug or dosage or administer the drug incorrectly. The pharmacy could fill the wrong drug or dosage or fail to communicate directions or side effects to the patient. The drug manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that the drugs they put out into the marketplace are properly labeled and safe for consumption.

Who Is Responsible For Drug Mistakes?

Every case is different. Depending on the facts and circumstances of the case, the drug that was involved, how it was dispensed or administered, and who administered the drug could all contribute to a prescription drug error. A medical mistake involving a prescription can involve the following responsible parties:

  • Pharmaceutical companies
  • Pharmacy technicians and pharmacists
  • Nurses and medical assistants
  • Doctors

The pharmacy itself, the hospital or the doctor’s office could also be responsible for medical negligence or malpractice if there were errors or negligence in training, education or staffing.

Louisiana Has Strict Deadlines. Call Today.

The state of Louisiana has strict filing deadlines for medical malpractice and negligence claims. To schedule an appointment for a free case assessment and consultation, call us at 318-716-7329 or send an email through our online form today.